King, May & Ernie and Family #452 *

Honoured by their children

Ernest James “Ernie” King, born in Sturgeon Falls on June 22, 1890 and Letittia “May”Wood, born in South River on March 26, 1895 were married in the Presbyterian Church in South River on July 26, 1916.  They lived all their married life in North Bay and were the parents to ten beautiful and successful children, Myrtle, Evelyn, Viola, Don, Alvin, Jean, Mable, Jack, Inez and Carroll.

They were remarkable loving parents, few have achieved so much.  Not in a monetary sense, for that is here today and gone tomorrow, but their values.  Some of Dad’s favourite sayings were “Honesty is the best policy”, or “Experience is your best teacher” or “Your reputation is much easier lost than gained” and of course the fifth commandment “Honour thy Father and thy Mother”.  They knowingly never hurt anyone but always lent a helping hand.  They always had time for anyone in need, lonely or ill.

Ernie worked at the ONR from 1911 until his retirement as General Yard master in 1952.  He was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Gowganda Lodge No. 815 of the Brotherhood of the Railway Trainmen.

During the First World War, May worked and made dressings with the Red Cross.  She was the President of Dr. MacDougall Home & School Association, Past Noble Grand of the Nipissing Rebekah Lodge No. 152; Past President of the Evans Pride Lodge No. 617 and President of the White Heather Circle of Calvin Presbyterian Church.  May was known as the Soup Lady.  She would have us take a container of homemade soup, on our bike, to people she was aware of being ill.

May and Ernie were a part of Odd Fellowship for over 50 years and certainly lived up to their purpose of Friendship, Love and Truth.  It was a way of life for them and an example for us, just as Calvin Presbyterian Church was since its beginning in 1925.

Mom’s words of Shakespeare “To thine own self be true”.

The entire King Family continues to be proud of its deep connection to North Bay.