Honoured by Past, Present & Future Members of Omond Memorial United Church
A Brief History
Omond Memorial United Church can trace its beginning to a small group of people holding worship services in the O’Brien Street Public School in 1947. Two years later the official board decided to build a church.
Under the guidance of the Reverend M.N. Omond, of St. Andrew’s United Church, funds were raised and the sod turning for the new church building took place on June 25, 1950. On Christmas Sunday 1950 services took place in the completed Dudley Street Church. Dedication of the building occurred the following September 1951.
Due to a steady increase in attendance throughout the 1950’s and early 1960’s, a fact finding committee was established in 1961 to advise the congregation on the wisdom of a new church building. Rev. Gerald Paul, incumbent minister, offered this motto, “In Widdifield we have the people. Let us build a church to house them.” A year later, the congregation approved plans for a new church designed by architect, Gerard Cox to seat 300 people at the estimated cost of $100,000. Worship services took place in the newly constructed church located on McKenzie Avenue – Christmas 1963 and the building was dedicated to the Glory of God, May 10, 1064.
Known in North Bay as the “church on the by-pass” Omond church has offered Christ’s ministry to the surrounding community in countless ways. The congregation has articulated its vision for ministry in its mission statement:
“As followers of Jesus Christ, the mission of Omond Memorial United Church is to be a Beacon of Hope reaching out to all people through involvement, ministry and fellowship.”