Honoured by Alice Farlinger.
Born to Dr. Anderson Carlyle and Sarah Jane (McCorquodale) Farlinger in New Liskeard, Ontario in 1923, Fraser attended the local public and high schools.
A very focused young man; he attended McGill University in Montreal and graduated in 1947 receiving his B.Sc. and M.D. C.M. He was a member of the Scarlet Key, the Alpha Omega Alpha Honour Medical Society and a life member of the Canadian and Ontario Medical Associations.
He was a very athletic young man who played as a running-back and became captain of the McGill football team. He also played hockey in the junior and senior divisions, winning six varsity letters.
Fraser returned to New Liskeard in 1948 to practice medicine alongside of his father “Dr. A.C.”. General Practice in these early days was very demanding and many nights were passed with very little sleep. Days were long and filled with performing operations in the OR, visiting in-patients, office visits, then back to hospital for pre-op examinations for the next day’s O.R. In between these tasks were the deliveries of babies. When Fraser left New Liskeard in 1975 he had delivered just under 3,300 babies, many of which were home deliveries out in the country. He often said that he was “worn out from labour”.
However busy he was, time was found to play the violin and to take lessons to improve his skills in this field, as well as being a piper and founding member of Branch #33 Royal Canadian Legion Pipe Band in New Liskeard, Ontario. He had a love of gardening and enjoyed entering his produce, especially gladioli in the Fall Fair, experiencing much success. Oil, acrylic, and watercolour painting were also an enjoyable diversion from work. He was an avid outdoorsman and enjoyed fall hunting trips with his long-time friends. His canvas canoe was never far away, and he entered and finished many races. Sailing in the Wayfarer Races, usually with his daughter Barbara, was another summer highlight.
Upon arriving in North Bay, 1975, Fraser worked as an Anaesthesiologist at the North Bay Civic and St. Joseph’s Hospitals as well as locums for other physicians. Soon after his arrival he joined with a group of musicians who were the founding members of the North Bay Symphony and played in the first violin section for many years. He was a member of the Calvin Presbyterian choir for 26 years.
After retiring he continued his love of music by playing in the North Port and the Venice, Florida Symphonies, during the winter months; singing with St. Paul’s church choir, North Port; also enjoying being part of a woodcarving group. He showed several of his carvings in the Tampa State Fair and won awards for these.
Fraser was a man of many talents and skills and was respected and loved y his family and those who had the good fortune to work alongside of him. He was always of good humour and made everyone he came into contact with feel important and worthwhile. He loved to impart the knowledge he had acquired to others.
When asked how he was, his answer was always: “Perfect”. And so, we honour his life of service to others and his good sense of humour.