Writing a story for your leaf honouree can be very emotional and many people have told us getting started is the hardest part. We hope these tips can help – if not please contact us at email@example.com and one of our volunteers would be happy to help!
Things to keep in mind when writing the Bio/Story for the person you are honouring:
1. Keep it short (500 words or less)
2. Highlight their main achievements and/or the main reasons they have influenced you
3. Let your personality show, since you are honouring this person; make the writing sound like your own.
4. Make it easy to read (short paragraphs)
Suggestions of info to include when writing your Bio / Story:
When and where was your honouree born?
Who was the most influential person to them growing up?
What were some things they did for fun as a child?
What activities did they enjoy in school (primary, high school, college/university)?
Where did they attend high school?
What was their favourite school subject?
Did they play sports? Which ones?
Were they involved in any clubs?
Was there a teacher that was particularly influential?
Did they have a teen idol? Who?
Did they attend college? If so, which one? If not, why?
Why did they decide to attend college?
Did they get a degree? In what?
What was their first occupation?
What is their most significant accomplishment as a professional?
What would be their ideal job?
Were they ever in the military?
How did they meet their spouse?
Do they have children? If so, how many and what ages/sexes?
Where are the children now?
Do they recall any wartime experiences?
What are some of their favourite things to do now?
What is their most memorable travel experience?
What is their happiest memory?
What accomplishments are they most proud of?
How do they hope to be remembered?
Who is their biggest fan?
What do they like to do in their spare time?
What is their greatest hope?
What are the main lessons they’ve learned in life?
When telling your story remember to include:
• When/where the honouree was born
• A little history on the honouree (see above sample questions)
• How you first met the honouree
• What your relationship is to the honouree
• How they have influenced you (Do they just brighten your day or have they changed the course of your life?)
• What you have accomplished because of their influence
• Why you have chosen to honor/appreciate them in this way
For additional writing tips visit:
(Used with permission)